Responsible Travel Policy
In November 2007, Aquaterra Adventures™ makes it as to the list of the world's best adventure travel outfitters inthe first Authoritative Rating of Adventure Tour Operators, selected and conducted in a global survey byNational Geographic Society. Aquaterra Adventures™ is on the 2008 & 2009 list of the BEST ADVENTURETRAVEL COMPANIES ON EARTH, also rated by the National Geographic Society.
Responsible Travel is a delicate balance between facilitating the need for people to see places they wish to, in a safe andresponsible manner, and for respecting the balance of the region we visit and reducing the impact of our visit. Bringingeconomic advantage to the areas we operate in is one of our top prioritues, however, never at the cost of cultural andenvironmental degradation of that area.
Aquaterra Adventures™’ Responsible Travel Guidelines
Tourism always has an impact in remote places and on small hill communities. We always try and give something back tothe region we travel in, alongside maintaining culturally and environmentally sensitive guidelines for our staff and guests.
- To create the best trips possible, with uncommon professionalism, unsurpassed personal service and a commitment to protect and preserve the cultures and environments through which we travel.
- We aim to ensure our trips have minimal negative and maximum positive impact on the places we visit.
- We respect the culture of the regions we travel to, instead of imposing our own.
- We do not shield the reality of the regions we work in, from our guests, but make them aware of the other world ofthe Himalaya, where poverty, lack of education, basic health care stare us in the face each day.
- We believe that along with the privilege of adventure in the Himalaya comes a serious responsibility. Theresponsibility to protect its ecology and tremendous beauty. The "Leave No Trace" philosophy is followed to theletter and we work to minimize the environmental impact of our trips. We are scrupulous in our camping, cookingand sanitation practices; we limit the number of trekkers we allow to join us on our trips and the number of trips welead in a given area.
- We involve local people and organisations as far as possible, to ensure better facilitation of each trip aspect. Localknowledge is premium, and we go by that adage.
- We recruit only people from the Indian Himalayan regions. This is our way of paying back to the regions we workin.
- All food supplies, transport needs and shopping is done locally. We work directly with local companies andindividuals. We use small establishments, usually owner-operated accommodation.
- We work with companies that work with local communities in the manner we do.
- We prefer to work with companies that share our commitment to environmental responsibility and many partnersoperate their own local initiatives.
Guidelines for our guests
- Our guides are aware of our policy and talk to guests and make them aware about it. The company actively pointstravelers in the right direction, to act in a responsible manner by including guidelines in the Pre-DepartureInformation sent to everyone before the trip. These guidelines aim to help minimize the impact on a destination andavoid any embarrassment based on behaviour, dress and conduct.
Before Your Departure
- Transport – Try using public transport to travel to the airport. You may also want to consider offsetting yourflight carbon.
- Save paper –Print trip information only what is needed. Try and get as much information online, avoid collevctingbrochures.
- Be clever when you pack – Carry your own water bottle, instead of buying plastic water bottles. If you are asmoker a pocket ashtray can come in handy. Always carry a set of your unused clothes, shoes – they make a greatgift to your trekking staff at the end of the trip.
All the staff at Aquaterra Adventures™ is trained to lead by example. All our trip leaders and staff, are aware of the need toreduce, re-use and recycle wherever possible. Minimising use of energy, is now daily practice.Wish you the very best with all your travels.